Sunday, February 21, 2016

Local Revision: Variety

Omg, Omg, only two more blog posts! Let's analyze sentence variety, something I'm pretty sure I do not have a good grasp of.

"Human, Man..." 5/19/2015 via pixabay. Public Domain.
That picture is what comes up when you look up "surprise!" on pixabay. I don't believe that man is surprised but I found it funny. 

  • I tend to write compound sentences and run-ons. My past English teachers have always pointed this out, so it's an old habit I've had a lot of trouble breaking. If the sentences aren't too long with too many commas, they are fairly short and to the point. 
  • Many of my sentences start with "The.." and "She.." which is pretty boring and worth changing. Fortunately, the majority of my sentences seem to start with the direct subject of the sentence, or some kind of adverb that links everything together. If I can include more sentences that have that type of structure it would give my QRG more variety and life. 
  • It might be worth trying to start a few sentences with verbs rather than the subject, but I'm afraid that that would lead to a more passive voice. I was pleased with the way I chose a more active voice overall, so it will be a challenge to balance these two things. 
  • As far as transitioning between paragraphs, I feel like the subheadings convention of the QRG does that for me. That might be the wrong way of thinking, because otherwise I don't really have many transitions. It feels awkward to include many because the subheadings open up another new, fresh topic that doesn't necessarily need transitions. I do, however, include a few adverbs here and there within the subheadings to keep the flow going, so hopefully this will suffice and still keep the QRG fluid and readable.
  • Honestly, my vocabulary is lacking. I went for a more casual vibe in my QRG, much like my blog posts, so the vocabulary isn't too diverse. 
    • The lack of variety in verbs can be a strength because it makes the QRG feel relatable and easy to read. 
    • This may also be a major weakness because it can be boring and not vivid enough to make the reader feel something. 
This is probably where I should focus my revisions. I really didn't realize how much my vocab was lackig!

No comments:

Post a Comment