Sunday, February 21, 2016

Local Revision: Pronoun Usage

Looking over my pronoun usage was definitely an eye-opener. I knew that there would be a lot of pronouns used to describe Nina but there was a lot.

StartupStockPhotos. "Write, Plan..." 1/8/2015 via pixabay. Public Domain.


  • I definitely overused "she" and "her." I knew that this would be a problem since Nina is the main character of the story and it would be exhausting to continue to repeat her name. In this way, I do think that the use of the feminine pronouns is better than repeating "Nina" or "Pham" the whole time, but I should definitely look into breaking up the she and hers a little more. 

  • I learned that I am a fan of pronouns. I think I've always known this, and this is not my worst case of "over-pronoun-usage." Something about typing out a full name is irritating and I blame texting. But it should become a priority issue to change in my writing style. 

  • I only refer to the audience once in the way that I use a direct pronoun "yourself." I don't think that this is a bad thing because I do ask open ended questions that are meant to be directed towards the audience, so I am interacting with them in a way. I chose not to use direct "you's" and "yourself's" because it never felt natural; I kept to the story telling throughout the whole QRG, but I think the open ended questions made up for it and still make the QRG interesting. 
How many of you are addressing the audience? Is this something I should consider?

No comments:

Post a Comment