Sunday, February 21, 2016

Local Revision: Passive and Active Voice

Is it crazy that this is the first time I've really learned what passive and active voice really are? Probably. I got tired of just bulleting words so here's a table of my passive and active verbs:


My verbs are mostly active voice, which I found surprising but good. I kept most of my sentences simple and concise so it was easy to pick out the active verbs. I do have a significant amount of passive verbs-about the same as active (general)- but looking back they are generally in places where it makes sense to have a passive verb; one example is the phrase "taken place."

As I mentioned above, because this is a QRG I made it a point to keep my sentences simple. This isn't the way that I usually write but I found that it flowed easily and fits the format of a QRG well. It was easy to write in an active voice in this way, and the instances that I used passive voice in are totally fixable. 

Overall, I think if I go back and really analyze why I used the passive verbs in certain sections, I will be in pretty good shape. As long as the use of passive verbs is the best way to communicate what I'm trying to say in the sentence, I see no reason to completely remove all my uses of them. But I also think that my lack of passive verbs may mean that I am not describing the setting and stakeholders as much as I should. 

Aagot, Anette. "Dog." 10/10/2013 via pixabay. Creative Commons License. 
These dogs are cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment